Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TOSHIBA MK1032GAX  (Read 15680 times)
cpighn

« on: October 17, 2008, 01:22:40 PM »

Smiley I am pleased to be the first writing a post here!

First of all I would thank very much developers of HDDScan which is very useful to check a disk.

After this, I ask for an advice in order to decide what to do with my 2,5 "external drive TOSHIBA MK1032GAX which is installed into an external box (heyDOiT) and seems not working properly since the led of the external box is not green when the disk is not operating but red.

I noticed such a strange behaviour after an unlucky very short disconnection of the drive from the USB connector while it was writing.

Attached is the report of a test done with HDDSCan (which I had to copy and past into a txt file, since the Save to File function gave an error).

Thanks in advance for any suggestion on the issue.

Claudio  Smiley

* HddScan test VR20081017103737.txt (53.9 KB - downloaded 203 times.)
Doomer

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 08:21:46 PM »

Is it possible to get SMART from the drive?
Test log seems OK to me (no bad blocks)
cpighn

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 10:53:27 PM »

Smiley No, it isn't. The SMART button appears in grey!

Claudio  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:57:30 PM by cpighn » Logged
Doomer

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 05:54:04 AM »

Well, I have nothing left to add
It seems like HDD is OK
cpighn

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 08:51:51 AM »

Smiley How can you state that if:

1) lots of slow secoprs;

2) SMART functions are not available (while they should be, if I am not wrong);

3) the disk appears always in writing state (the led that should be green is red)?

Please be patient with me and clear the issue.

Claudio  Smiley
Doomer

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 06:58:46 AM »

1. slow sectors could be normal for drive in USB box if USB box is not quite good. Your drive has no bad blocks so far
2. SMART function probably works for the drive but USB box chipset doesn't allow HDDScan access SMART on the drive. Which is normal for many USB boxes
3. The LED indicator has nothing to do with the HDD. And BTW do you have a manual for the USB box where you can clearly see that the red light means writing but not just drive access?

I have an USB box with read and green light. Green light means power on and when it changes to red that means drive access maybe your box using the same logic Smiley
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:03:23 AM by Doomer » Logged
cpighn

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 12:04:14 PM »

Smiley Thanks for you reply, Doomer.

It is clear to me that my USB box is not a quality one and a signal of this it that it was not provided with a manual, neither it is available on the web.

By the way, I am confident that it works like your and the Toshiba hard disk which we are speaking of it worked properly since some time ago when I saw the normally green led always in red state.

A proof that something is wrong with the Toshiba HDD is that I have just inserted another drive (Samsung 80GB) into the USB box and it works fine: the led is green except when it works.

Consider also that I tried to use the Toshiba HDD as the internal disk of my laptop and the led showing the activity of the hard drive was always on while it should be off or blinking when the system is writing onto the disk.

These are reasons for my doubts on the healthy of the Toshiba HDD.

Do you know similar cases?

Claudio  Smiley
Doomer

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:40:29 AM »

To make a proper diagnosis I need to see SMART attributes
cpighn

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 03:58:06 PM »

Smiley Here I am again!

I worked hardly to satisfy your request and here attached you have a file with SMART attributes.

Such a file has been produced by Diskcheckup application since I was unable to obtain a report by HDDScan  (I advise developers of HDDScan that when clicking the SMART Button it appears a window with the message: Impossible to show the XML page).

For a more detailed information, consider that, in order to get SMART information, I loaded WinXP onto the Toshiba HDD and I used it as primary drive of my laptop. In such a situation the HDD led of my portable pc is always on while normally it should appear blinking when working!

Claudio  Smiley

* DriveInfo.txt (3.27 KB - downloaded 224 times.)
Doomer

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 06:04:29 AM »

Your disk has one reallocated bad block
and 16 UDMA CRC errors

I would say it is something wrong with your HDD not much but still

If you used overclocking it could cause UDMA CRC errors

According to Google HDDs with reallocated bad blocks die more often than HDDs w/o such blocks
You can try to use RMA
cpighn

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »

Smiley Thanks,

I never used overclocking!

What is RMA?

Claudio  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:38:07 PM by cpighn » Logged
Doomer

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 07:58:52 PM »

I meant drive's warranty
Pages: [1]