Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with surface tests on 1.5TB USB drive  (Read 9458 times)
tech128

« on: January 04, 2009, 09:38:03 AM »

Hello,

I have a seagate st31500343as that is connected via usb.  Hddscan works fine for smart tests and everything else.  But when I try to do surface tests it limits the lba to 2147483647.  That appears to be a 31bit number.  If I try to test higher, it says "Error input parameters, disk" in a very small messagebox.  I'm fairly certain this is an issue only with hddscan because I used HxD hexeditor and it was able to access the end of the disk no problem.

I don't know if its only my drive that is having this issue because I only need one real large drive.

Btw I'm running XP Pro SP3 with 2GB ram and Intel E2160.
Doomer

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 08:00:03 PM »

It's bug in the program
It will be fixed in next revision
Thank you
mikesw

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:13:50 PM »

Hopefully, when fixed it will be able to read the new 2TB drives from Western Digital
and Seagate too!

Roll Eyes
Doomer

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:39:09 AM »

New version release planned for the end of February
troox

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 05:44:52 AM »

This still seems to be an issue.

I use HDDScan 3.2 on Windows 7 64-bit - all is working fine besides this signed int32 limitation on the LBA address.

My Samsung HD154UI (1.5 TB F2 / SATA) has a max LBA of 2,930,277,168, which is also displayed correctly by HDDScan.
Running the surface scan stops, as soon as the LBA exceeds 31 bit, i.e. LBA >= 2^31 = 2,147,483,648
The report window shows not exactly 2^31 as position but some larger value by a few thousand, because it probably overshoots. The report graphs are not updating anymore and there is no disk activity. The test has status "executing" and can't be paused or stopped.

Trying to start a surface test at a start LBA of > 2^31 seems to produce some activity in the report window for a few seconds until it freezes again. I'm not certain if there is any real disk activity for this short period.

I'd really appreciate a fix or more info on this bug, since I have some bad sectors remaining on my disk I want to find, which are at the high LBA addresses and can not be scanned / detected by HDDScan atm.
Doomer

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 07:22:29 PM »

Yes, the new version has not been released yet
I really busy right now with my work and stuff, so I unfortunately don't have time for my HDDScan hobby
I'm sorry that I cannot help you right now
troox

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 08:09:28 PM »

alright np, thank you for the info!
since 3.2 was apparently released after the first post in this thread, I thought the current version is already the "new version" Smiley
looking forward to an update then - keep up the good work!
Bzzz

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 04:26:01 AM »

Any news about a bugfix? Just got two 2TB drives and found out about the capabilities of HDDScan...below 1TB  Grin

btw, the sector map's description is unreadable when not using a skin. Would be nice if that is going to be fixed, too. But anyways, that's a very nice piece of software, thank you!  Kiss

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: