R.LAB data recovery
September 19, 2020, 12:42:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help diagnosing hard drive problem?  (Read 5095 times)
bigkahuna

« on: December 02, 2010, 03:16:45 AM »

Hi,

I'm trying HDDScan for the first time and need a bit of help interpreting the info it displays.  The hard drive is a Hitachi 2.5" 500 GB drive in a 2 month old Toshiba Qosmio notebook.  About 3 or 4 weeks ago the system started doing a chkdsk when I booted up the computer in the morning.  It didn't happen all the time, probably once every 3 or 4 days.  I've done a lot of checking around and tests and thus far haven't found anything that could be causing the problem.  The system seems to run fine and shut down without issues.  When I run chkdsk the drive then is reported "not dirty" but then 3 or 4 days later it happens again.  I ran HDDScan twice today and both times the results were pretty close to each other.  Here's what it looked like:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Can you give me some insight as to what is wrong with the drive?  I tried pulling it out and re-seating firmly but the results this second test are very similar to the first.  Does the drive need to be replaced?  Thanks for your help and for a wonderful diagnostics tool!
Doomer

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 07:26:18 PM »

Please post SMART report
bigkahuna

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 08:26:45 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  Last night (after I posted here) I got some help on the Toshiba support forums and I think we may have fixed my hard drive (fingers crossed).  I had to do a chkdsk /r while running the Windows Recovery Environment.  This morning I ran HDDScan twice and I've posted the reports plus the SMART report below.

My question now is, does this mean my hard drive is now "fixed"?  The computer and drive are only 2 months old, do you think the drive will give me problems again in the future?  I plan on setting up a mirror drive in the future (just for the peace of mind).  Thanks again for your help.

Doomer

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 09:21:35 PM »

According to SMART your drive is in perfect conditions
bigkahuna

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 09:50:42 PM »

Thanks Doomer, I hope it stays that way.  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: